Monday, January 11, 2010

Disney-Henson Political Cartoon 1989


A couple months ago when word came out that Disney was purchasing Marvel Comics, there was both optimism and pessimism from both Disney and Marvel fans. Personally, I was excited. The only thing that would have put me flying over cloud nine on a magic carpet would have been if Disney was purchasing DC Comics instead since I prefer DC to Marvel. But, that is a different story.

What immediately came to mind was all the negativity surrounding the Disney and Jim Henson negotiations in 1989 & 1990. Disney had just opened its third theme park, Disney-MGM Studios, in 1989, and two new Muppets based attractions had just opened at this park--Here Come the Muppets and MuppetVision 3-D. Adding to all the confusing and uncertainty was Jim Henson's sudden death on May 16.

I remember a cast member whom I worked with that first summer on the WDW College Program showed me a political cartoon from the Orlando Sentinel about the Disney-Henson negotiations. The cartoon was actually from 1989 when talks first hit about the negotiations. The cartoonist appeared to hit the nail on the head as to what all the naysayers thought was apparently going to be the outcome of such a partnership.

Anyway, I thought the cartoon was hilarious and had him make me a copy. Now, I knew I had kept that copy, but, for the life of me, I could not find it. I searched and searched until last week, I found it at the bottom of one of my boxes that did NOT have other Disney items in it. That figures. I thought it very appropos to the Disney-Marvel discussion. Well, better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment