Sunday, August 16, 2009

A WDWCP Offer

In early March 1990, the Walt Disney World College Program came to Texas A&M University. A couple hundred students turned out that night to listen to a WDW cast member named Rick Neely pitch working on the college program. We watched a short presentation and then listened to several students from previous semesters talk about their experiences on the WDW College Program. It was very interesting and everyone was very excited.

I remember how up front the recruiters were when asked questions. "If you expect to make money, then the WDWCP is not for you", was the response one of the questions. They were recruting for three different semesters--summer, fall, and spring. They must have been hurting for people in the fall and spring semesters because they talked about how competitive the summer session was. I remember the figure they gave. They said that you had about a one in ten chance of getting onto the summer program. Obviously, the summer is when most students want to work. They told us they would hire about 1,100 college students from around the country for the summer semester, along with about 1,000 international students. Well, I thought, "what the heck, I'll give it a shot". I really didn't think I had a chance. But, after the presentation was over, I went ahead and signed up for an interview the next day.

I went back to my apartment, filled out the application, and read some interviewing tips I had received in one of my college courses. I could barely sleep that night. I was so nervous going into that interview the next morning. I remember thinking that everything was stacked against me. It was my first interview ever! And, it was with Disney! And, to top it off, not only was I the first interview of the day, but, I was the first interview at Texas A&M on this visit. TERRIFIC!

Well, the interviewer was an attractive young lady who was about seven months pregnant. She had a welcoming smile and was very friendly. Unfortunately, I cannot recall her name. And, to tell ya the truth, I can't remember a single question she asked me that day. Of course, I couldn't remember anything she asked me as soon as I walked out of the interview either. Anyway, I do remember that I just tried to relax, be friendly, and, to borrow a cliche, be myself. The interview was very short. It couldn't have been longer than five minutes. When I left the interview, my roommates asked me how it went. I said something to the effect of, "ok, but not great". And, of course, they wanted to know what questions I was asked. But, like I said, I couldn't remember anything specific said in the interview. Ok, that isn't true. I do remember her asking if I had a preference of where I'd like to work. I put down Foods Host since I thought that would offer me the best opportunity. Anyway, not a great interview, first interview of the day, oh well, so much for that.

Now, fast forward a few weeks to the beginning of April. I was going to school at Texas A&M University. I remember this day fairly well. I was a little upset with myself because I had just done poorly on a test. I was walking back to the campus bus stop going over the test questions in my head. When I got to the bus stop, I ran into my two roommates who were waiting there for me with an excited look on their faces. They both started talking real fast, but, all I heard them say was "Disney" and handing me an envelope. I said something to the effect of, "oh great, a rejection letter". Their synchronized response was, "SCOTT, IT IS TOO THICK TO BE A REJECTION LETTER, WE THINK YOU GOT AN OFFER"!!!


My eyes lit up and my heart started racing. They had a point! Without thinking about the collectibility of the envelope, I tore it open as fast as I could. I GOT AN OFFER!!! I was so ecstatic. I could not believe I got an offer. How did that happen? I didn't think my interview went especially well. But, aparently I made an impression on the recruiter. My roommates were so excited for me since the semester had been relatively rough on me from a personal standpoint. They went on to class and I took the bus back to our apartment.


Now, this was before cell phones, email, Facebook, instant messaging, and the Internet, well, at least as we know the Internet today. So, I ran inside and started dialing my parents. I thought my mom was going to cry; she was so excited for me. I think she must have made several dozen calls after we hung up. She told me she called everyone from her co-workers, to our friends, to all our relatives.

Anyway, this 24 hour span was the beginning of what ended up altering my future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scott, you don't know me--but we likely saw each other during our stint in the WDW College Program, Summer 1990. I came across your blog as I was doing some research. (I'm thinking about a career at WDW and was looking up names from the past. Rick Neely recruited me, too.) Anyhow, just thought I'd let you know I saw this old blog post and am wondering if you still have any professional connections to WDW.

    ReplyDelete